Pages

10/1/10

Maldives

So, after my trip to india, Laura and I went to the Maldives for 4 days. Flew to Mali and then caught a twin otter seaplane to our resort. Awesome, seeing the atolls and reefs a few thousand feet below, taking off, landing n taking off again, brilliant and started the hol off in exactly the right way, the Maldives is a luxury holiday, may as well start with a real extravagance.







We spent our time in a place called maayafushi resort. A smallish resort with a beautiful house reef. The diving was prohibitively expensive so we just snorkelled ( and burnt ourselves to a crisp whilst doing so).
We were circled by 5 White tipped, 2 metre long reef sharks at one point, that got us both a little worried, an I saw five unknown rays the next day 'flying' in formation.
Resort was beautiful and neither of us wanted to leave, though the seaplane back was great again.










A crane on the beach!

Our flight back to Lanka was late in the evening, so we took a boat ride over to Mali proper for a look round. Near the end of Ramadan, and as Mali is Muslim, most of the shops and restaurants were closed, and while you can drink on the resorts, you can't drink in the capital. It's a bizarre place 2km x 1km, yet full of scooters and expensive big cars (why?).






Laura, at the seafront, waiting for a restaurant to open so we could eat.
A weird and long day, but a great holiday, a little sad to leave, as I'll probably never go back. I'd done my advanced diving course there 2 years earlier, and enjoyed that time too, even though my folks, who went with me, had all their money stolen from their room :-(


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comments