Pages

12/6/09


All about Eve:


Hi all,


Welcome to my first posting on my first (real) blog; I microblog occasionally on twitter (Twitter ID = fruitus)


This is a pic of me, taken on my phone, as I am setting up the blog and immediately uploaded.

I am 40 years young, currently live and work in Sri Lanka.
I am Deputy Manager ICT for the British Council in Colombo and have been here for just over two years. Wondering where the hell to go next, any suggestions? (it has to be East!).

I Juggle (working my way back to 5 balls after a nasty accident this time last year when a truck almost tore my arm off) and scuba dive as my main hobbies. I read a lot of Sci-Fi and fantasy type stuff, my favourite authors of the moment are Steven Erikkson (Malazan book of the Fallen series is spectactular and unique) and Iain M Banks (whose Sci-Fi has been top drawer for the last 10 years at least.)

My first career was in IT, operating main frame and supercomputers. I actually got to work for my schoolboy hero Seymour Cray in the late eighties and early nineties, I won't bore you...look him up! At the end of 92, disillusioned with IT in general, I changed paths and started doing voluntary conservation work 5 days a week, where I became interested in Botany. I decided to go to university and study it; it's been a passion ever since.

I did my CELTA in 2002, because my wife (at the time, we are sadly seperated) was an EFL teacher and we wanted to continue travelling and working. Very glad I am that I did it, I love my job, most of the time, and get a great sense of satisfaction from it. I also love travelling and this job allows me to do both.

I'm in love with an MMORPG called 'Eve'

Probably the hardest yet best game in the universe. The graphics alone make it worth a look.

I used to spend lots of time on Second Life, but while in hospital with the above mentioned accident, they tried to renew my subscription, failed cos my credit card had changed; so closed my premium account, took my land from me and kept all of my possessions and told me there was no way to reactivate the account. I will never step foot in Second Life again! Linden Labs suck.

So, feel free to comment, give me suggestions on where to go next, recommend stuff to me, whatever!

Thanks for visiting


7 comments:

  1. Hey, Gary: Impressive juggling! My daughter wants to get into this. I'll show her your clip for motivation. Sadly, her dad can't even manage 3 balls...
    It would be great if you could insert a sound track. Don't have any suggestions as to which one, though. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gary! Welcome to the blogosphere:-)

    Apart from the Dominion Trailer, there seems to be another video in this post, but it cannot be viewed.

    It is very unfortunate that you cannot activate your SLife account again. It is weird. Why do they have such rigid rules?

    By the way, as a widget-lover, I had a look at your sidebar and saw the news widget. There are some news from Turkey that do not look relevant. You might think of removing it. Just a suggestion:-)

    Looking forward to reading your blog posts!

    Best,

    Burcu

    ReplyDelete
  3. One little thing. The YouTube video is covering 'the tutors' part of your sidebar. I think you need to modify the size of it.

    Best,

    Burcu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you smoking and juggling at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog, Gary. I'm a great fan of Iain Banks too, although his 'fiction' is nuttier that his sci-fi. I don't know the other writer but I'll check him out. Have you read any Fritz Lieber and his Lanhkmar books? Never played Eve, is that an on-line game? I'm just wading my way through Fallout 3 on Xbox; it's amazing what fits on a dvd9.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are fine from the accident. Your blog looks nice and it is pleasant to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary, when you said that juggling is your hobby I thought you were just kidding. I saw that video, it's amazing! Teach us how to do that!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comments